Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Time Capsule - Part I

Speaking with some friends of mine.. I was wondering what I should have put in
a Time Capsule, like the one used from people in the American High School....

It was 1989 when I received my first Computer, a Commodore 64.

I started playing games as every child of my age, but in few times I started
studying Basic and Assembler Manuals, Electric Schemes, everything
that could let me better understand what was inside the box.

No, at the age of 10 I could not understand Commodore Electric Schemes :-), but
I was really fascinated by them, and moved by a strange 'force' that still
today I'm unable to totally explain.

What should move a young boy to study programming instead of playing games?

'Hacking Spirit', I could try to answer today.

I started to work on some routines to speed up the bootloading
of some games on my 1541-II floppies and to explore al the
possible combinations of PEEK and POKE instructions to full
control my C=64.

I also wrote some starfields with something like a 'USS Enterprise' moving into them.

Yes, In that period Star Trek TOS was what I prefered on the TV instead of Cartoons,
but that's another story.. :-)

One day arrived the second object (after the C=64 of course) that I should have put
in my Time Capsule: a 1200 baud Modem :-)

I'll speak about it in the second part of my post...

No comments:

Post a Comment